Saturday, February 23, 2013

0 Dashrath Manjhi - A Man who moved mountain

I completed my lunch and was going to the cubicle; on the way I've met few of my friends who were discussing of “A Man who moved mountains”.I thought, either it must be a movie or else some novel they might be discussing and moved on. One of my friend came to me and started the same topic, I ignored him saying – “what a cartoon act, no more movie discussions”. He laughed at me and said, “It is the fact not a story”.



Mountain man – Dashrath Manjhi

Whatever the subject is, it looks like unbelievable and extra-ordinary, but it is the true story. Gehlour is a village in Bihar, which is surrounded by hills on four sides. The courage of late-Dashrath Manjhi is been told as bedtime stories to the children. People from the Gehlour village need to travel all-around the hill to reach the adjacent city Wazirganj to purchase groceries.

Dashrath Manjhi had a farm and to get firewood for his daily usage, he used to go to the top of the hill. His wife Paguni Devi used to climb up the hill to serve food and water to her husband. One day during her way to top, she fell and broke the pot which contains water and food. She was injured and broke her ankle. In order to hospitalize her, they need to cross the hill or take a 75 km path around the hill. Due to the hilly path, she was not able to make till hospital.



The day when this incident happened, he said to hill that “how you broke the pot, in the same way I’m going to break you”. He sold his goats and bought a hammer & chisel. He started to hammer the 300-feet-high hill; in the beginning villagers thought that, “he has become mad”. Manjhi moved his hut near to the hill, so that he could work day and night. He moved stone by stone for 22 years and achieved his unimaginable task of creating a way of 1km to the villagers through the hill. In 2007 Dashrath Manjhi has passed away due to cancer. 


I pay my humble tribute to Dashrath Manjhi. May his soul rest in peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like the post, Rate it. Suggestions and comments are always welcome - Admin, eSahaya

X